2/24/10

Anything Else.... Really??

So Natalie has been having accidents since she was 3 (after she became fully potty trained) they started really out of no where and haven't stopped since. Well her Pediatrician sent us to the hospital in Louisville to get some test run to see if it was behavioral or medical.
Long story short she had a vguc, x-rays and abdominal ultrasounds that lead to the conclusion that she does have bladder reflux meaning her urine goes back up to her kidneys as soon as it becomes full. and when she does go potty she is full again from the urine coming back down, thus causing accidents. If her urine gets an infection such as a bladder infection or UTI and the urine goes up to her kidneys she could get a kidney infection causing kidney failure.
After our Pediatrician got the results he also noticed that her "plumbing" as he called it may not be right and THAT is what is causing her accidents b/c her tubing leads to the wrong places... GREAT.... sigh. There are more tests being done next month and they keep talking about possible surgery to fix it.
As if this poor child didn't have enough wrong with her lets throw this in the group.
Natalie has had bowed legs to the point she needed braces to help straighten them out... it was hell! She also has torticollis which means her neck is turned and she looks up with her chin and down her nose... if that makes any sense to you... ug! Then her eyes shake back and forth... so we found out that she has an astigmatism and a nystagmus ... luckily she can see fine.. for now. at one time we were told she may need surgery on her eyes if they get worse but for now they are ok and she sees fine. Also when she was born she had a horrible spot on her head, and a few smaller ones on her right leg, and right side of her chest.... come to find out she has hemangioma birth barks. Random people would ask me what happened to her b/c the one on her bald lil head was puffy and red and veiny looking and I guess to some looked like a huge bump, cut, owie! I used to put hats on her all the time so no one would look at her and feel bad for her or ask me what happened as many times I would be on the verge of tears already. Now if this wasn't all enough imagine doing it all alone, this all happened in the time frame Mike was in bootcamp and then deployed so it was very emotional. Thank Goodness for my Mother!!
And her teeth, how could I forget... she had to have one pulled b/c it was abcessed.. she was only 5 =( she now has a spacer in that spot, had to have cavities filled as well. Then also when she was 5 she had surgery to remove her tonsils and put in ear tubes, she was constantly sick with ear infections... It just seems like her list is so long for such a short time ya know. I feel I had done everything I should have during my pregnancy w/ her. I dont use drugs, I dont drink, I dont smoke... I took my vitamins, went to all my Dr. apts... I just dont get it why all this is on one child.??
She really is my lil trooper for sure since she is older she puts on a brave face and knows what is expected of her and takes every test as well as she can. I am thankful to have such a strong, smart child.
I guess I should mention that regardless of her medical conditions she is so very smart. I knew that from the start! Her teachers have told me in the past and even now that she is doing well, and above majority of kids in her class. I must admit that is always great to hear no matter how many times someone says it LOL.
I just hope that she pulls through this bladder and kidney issue like she has with the rest and we will be able to put it behind her.

1 comment:

  1. Anthony used to have torticollis, but with stretching went away by the time he was 7 months old. But that is a crazy long list! poor girl!

    ReplyDelete